Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Jimmy Rose

I guess I should tell you more about Jimmy Rose. Jimmy is originally from Birmingham. Sally Oak, I think. He started playing at the Dolphin Bar in 1962 and just kinda stayed. I met him soon after that and whenever the bluebeats had a night off I would go and play with Jimmy. We went to Manchester, Blackburn, Burnley and over into Yorkshire. I think it was then I realized that it was much more satisfying to play to listening audiences than to do teenage dances. This went on sporadically until we were offered the season at the Dolphin Bar in 1966. That was the start of the Jimmy Rose duo. We travelled and played all over England and Wales for the next three years intil 1969. At that time we were offered and accepted a summer season at the Golden Garter Saloon in Margate on the south coast. When that was over Jimmy went to London and I went back to Blackpool. We crossed paths again when he went home to Blackpool and I decided to move to London.
I soon got a job in the Detroits, An Irish showband headed by Pat Nolan and enjoyed a brief tour of Ireland. One night we worked in Wimbleden with Hank Locklin,(Please help me I'm falling). What a great voice that man had.
On another occasion we played at the Nashville room in West Kensington. I called Jimmy and told him about the place and suggested we try to get a weeks cabaret there and he agreed. I set it up and we were really well received. The agents name was Ted Poulton and when I asked if he would be willing to book us on the rest of the ciruit he said "yes", but we would need a bass player and a drummer. We found them in short order. Tony Halligan was the drummer and Dave Peacock was the bass player. Now you know the answer to the mystery of several postings back. Thus, the Country Pie was formed. It lasted until around may 1972. I have the exact date of the last booking in one of my diaries.
Soon after that I moved to the United States. Jimmy and I still keep in touch and talk regularly. Sometimes he vists me and sometimes I visit over there, a friendship that has lasted for about 43 years.
Jimmy still plays with a band in blackpool and like me couldn't stop even if he wanted. Jimmy Rose, a great voice and a great entertainer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clansfolk said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:04 AM  
Blogger skiandu said...

My Mum Hlga DOuglas played the Osborne hotel Clacton on sea with Her husbadn Denny. Originally from Blackpool she met up with Jimmy.
I was just a child at the time adn I remember Oakie his alsation (gsd) dog who I loved and who we cared for fora while. Jimmy did a beautiful paining of 2 white horses for me which I have kept to this day. A lovely person. I came across this post trying to see if I could find his Album anywhere, which had the best version iof ghost riders in the sky I have ever heard. My name is Ros Reynolds. I am Helgas Daughter. Lovely memories of Blackpool and Clacton. If your in touch with Jimmy, Please tell him Mum is now resting at Carlton Cemetary and always spoke of him.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Philip John Brooks said...

Hi Ros, Sorry it took so long to respond. Sad to say, Jimmy passed away in February last year. He was such a talented person. From his painting to stonework, embroidery and many other talents. Yes, in the early days he made all our stage clothes.
Thank you so much for your interest.
P.S. I also remember Okie.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home